The Cure for Senioritis

Jenny Qiu

Ebenezer Aggrey, Staff Writer

Senioritis. What is this mystery diagnosis? Google identifies this disease as a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance. Urban Dictionary says that senioritis includes symptoms of laziness, lack of motivation, excessive absences in school, and the feeling of not caring if you graduate or not. This disease has caused most students to slack off in class during their final year of schooling and has caused some students to even drop out.

As a senior in high school, I can understand the feeling of wanting a taste of something new especially when we are so close to the end of the school year. Senioritis has hit us, seniors, in some sort of way whether it was during a lecture, homework, or just having to wake up and get ready for school. Senior Chandler Gibson has had senioritis since the middle of the 3rd quarter and has no desire to do homework. He combats this feeling by putting his head down and grinding through his tears that develop over time due to the amount of homework he receives every night. As this school year comes to an end, The New York Times has encouraged us to pursue a passion that gives us students a purpose in finishing out the year strong. The news article also states that dating someone or getting a job helps keep the mind busy and away from the eagerness of wanting to leave high school. Senior Caleb Bonine has had senioritis since senior year started and has already been applying these ideas to his life by keeping himself busy with sports and hanging out with his friends.

Being a teacher at any high school must be tough having to see your students suddenly throw in the towel and give up on their grades. Mr. Chustz has seen the effects of senioritis firsthand at CHS and has stated that for some, “it is an excuse to be lazy, fewer are legit burned out with little left in the tank and are coasting to the finish. Others are super freaked out about what’s next and want to enjoy the familiar as best they can now without thinking what’s really next; as exciting as the future is, it is also scary.”  What comes next can be fun, but what matters now is what is happening in your life that will help you get to what comes next. Mr. Jumonville talks more about the present by saying, “Don’t look forward to getting to graduation until you’ve crossed the finish line of high school. Take one day at a time…slow down… and don’t act like you are in college until you are actually in college.” We, seniors, are faced with adversity right now due to COVID-19, and as senioritis hit most of us already, it can make online learning an even tougher task to bare. This new responsibility to adapt to this new way of learning can be mistaken for a way to put off work until the last minute, so I urge you to not let that be the case.  Everyone knows this time of the year, school can be stressful and crazy but it is important to have goals and to know your values, not only to help you get to the end but also to help you enjoy the rest of the final moments you will have as a senior.