Tips and Tricks for TSOL

Photo by Kiara Ashanti

Photo by Kiara Ashanti

Hayden McDowell, Staff Writer

As many of us can see, these times of online school are much different as opposed to when we’re in a classroom. Most of us are spending a lot more time with our parents because we’re all at home while others see one of their parents go to work every morning as nurses, doctors, bankers, etc. Still, others are now playing teacher and babysitter to younger siblings because both parents are considered essential workers. With all of this, many of us may struggle to keep up with school work, but most of us just aren’t capable of keeping up.

As I’ve seen it, some of us experience much more relaxed days while others find themselves working even longer than if they were in school. A local 8th grader, Alston Manne, says he gets up at 8:00 a.m. and starts work. He consistently works but doesn’t finish until roughly 4:00-5:00 p.m. in the evening. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Senior Caden Boudreaux finds himself with much more free time, often finishing up around 11:00 a.m. Everybody is taking this new online school system differently, but, in the end, some people seem to be getting more work than others while others can receive less and be finished earlier. Right now, it’s ok to struggle as we are all adjusting to this new system of learning and the resources are available via teachers–and the counselors if you find yourself struggling.

For those who want to try and become more efficient, a simple trick is to stay organized and not fall behind, but it seems too broad to say just do that. Rather, you could break up your day and set times for you to do your work. You could say you are going to work on each class during its normal school time, or you can work each class in order at your own pace until you finish. Online learning can lead to a lot of stress depending on your classes because some classes assign more work than others. One thing that all this stress can build up to is procrastination. It’s ok to be stressed. You should know that you’re not alone in this, and there are resources are available to you. Mrs. Batsche, Junior Counselor, recommends a meditation or mindfulness app you can download on your phone to help calm you down. If it becomes too much work, it’s ok to ask for help. Your friends, teachers, and faculty are all here for you especially during these extreme times of need.

Some of our students said that they do not agree with the system CHS is using and that they would much rather have a system like SJA. SJA is on a block schedule which means that they only take specific classes every day and the homework is not due until the next day of that class. Work can still be assigned and due during that block and each block is 2 hours long. This means that you could be sitting in front of a computer for upwards of 2 hours straight. This can be good because it allows for teachers to maybe explain more clearly something you could be stuck on and the teacher would be available for 2 hours. This can also lead to more time focusing on certain classes and time to learn what you could be struggling with.

Another issue is that with the current CHS schedule work is only supposed to take up a 50-minute time frame, and, in some cases, this does not happen. Some teachers are uploading 30-minute screencasts and then making the students answer problems after that, leading to more than an hour’s worth of work.

In conclusion, these first few weeks were rough, but hopefully, we will all adjust well. Just remember if you are struggling, everyone in our CHS community is here for you and all you have to do is reach out. If you need help, do not hesitate to ask someone because our faculty and staff are here for us and they are here to help us. Just remember, you are not alone.