LSU Football Midseason Overview

LSU Football Midseason Overview

(AP Photo/Butch Dill)

Drew Mathews, Staff Writer

This football season, LSU went into their first game with all of us not really knowing what to expect. We had lost a ton of those key guys who helped lead us to an undefeated season and National Championship.  One of the biggest things that people were worried about was our quarterback situation. We had just lost Joe Burrow, our second Heisman Trophy winner, and one of the best college football quarterbacks of all time.

This season has been very strange with the COVID-19 situation. Players all over the NCAA have chosen to opt-out of the season. For LSU, this had been particularly tough because they are having this on top of the 20 players we lost due to early departures and graduations. 14 of these 20 players were drafted. The players drafted include:

David Grunfeld

After all these 20 players we have lost some guys to the opt-out option. Ja’Marr Chase, the top wide receiver in the nation last year, opted out of the season in order to prepare for the NFL Draft. We have also lost some key pieces from our defense with Tyler Shelvin, Siaki Ika, and Kary Vincent Jr. all opting out of this season.

( Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

Many people were worried going into the season about how Myles Brennan would perform. After our first game against Mississippi State, some people began to doubt the team. Brennan’s numbers were a little disappointing too. He completed 27/46 passes for 345 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. Over the next two games his game did pick up; he completed 61% of his passes for 767 yards with eight touchdowns and only one interception. But then he got an injury which has put him out for two games so far. The battle for the position right now is between two true freshmen, TJ Finley and Max Johnson. Finley started and played the majority of the game against South Carolina and led us to a pretty big victory. However, he underperformed in the next game against Auburn and was replaced by Max Johnson. Finley started off the game against Auburn and threw 13/24 with two interceptions which caused him to be pulled out of the game early. Johnson went in and played pretty well. He completed 15/24 passes for 172 yards and one touchdown. However, this wasn’t enough as the game ended with Auburn winning by a score of 48-11.

(Gus Stark/LSU Athletics)

LSU is currently 2-3 on the season and ranked fourth in the SEC West. They have some tough games coming up with Alabama, Florida, and Texas A&M. This season has been a little bit disappointing after the amazing season they had last year, but things are hopefully going to turn around. It’s going to be tough with the lack of sureness with our starting quarterback spot. This team is young and has talent all over the field, I hope to see them get together and figure out all the issues to finish out the season with some wins and hopefully a record over 500.