Having COVID-19

George Scully, Staff Writer

It was a dry Thursday morning when I woke up with a headache and a dry throat. I remember not thinking much of it. I mean, maybe I just needed some water and some food to feel better. So I got up and walked to my kitchen to grab some water, but when I drank some, nothing changed. I just shrugged it off. I was fine. So I checked into school and noticed that it was hard to concentrate. Granted, it was a virtual day, but still. Once again, I just blew it off and went along with my day as normal. Later in the day, my nose started to get stuffy. It started out around six with my nose getting a little stuffed, but around ten, when I went to bed, it was so bad that I could feel my nose on my face. Head hurting, nose stuffy and throat dry, I went to bed. Around one in the morning, I woke up with my nose killing me. I got up to go blow it, but I noticed I was colder than normal. So I turned up the air and went back to bed.

When my alarm went off that morning, I woke up sweating and feeling warm. My head and throat felt better, but I was just warm. So I got up and took my temperature. 101 degrees. At this point, I knew I had a virus of some sort. No going around it. I walked into my kitchen to eat some food, and thankfully I still tasted things. Knowing that I could have COVID-19, I quarantined myself in my room until later that day when I got a rapid test at the Otolaryngology Specialists office (Ear, Nose, and Throat).

The test came back positive. I had the virus. I had to do a ten-day quarantine in my room since I actually had it while my family had to do a fourteen-day quarantine, only being able to leave to go to the store. When we arrived home, the first thing my family did was

George Scully

put a barrier separating me and my bathroom from the rest of the house. Through this barrier, they could pass me food, medicine, or anything else I needed. I also needed to start taking something called Prednisone, an immune system steroid every day for 9 days, taking three doses the first three days, two the next three after that, and finally one on the last three.

Since we had been forced to stay home the day before due to school closure, I only had nine days left. Let me tell you, those days were not fun. In my first three days, I stayed almost exclusively in my room watching TV and having meals brought to me. That got real old, real quick. While I enjoyed the shows that I was watching at the moment, I got burnt out on them really fast. Having someone bring you food, not being able to grab what you want, is just the worst. But things started improving on the fourth day when I got to go outside and on walks. I specifically remember thinking that I had never been so happy to be outside. Things improved again about two days later when my sister found an old microwave in a closet. This was good because, after some light convincing, I got her to go to the store to buy me my own food. That was a lifesaver. For the first time, I didn’t have to have somebody there to make my food, and words could not describe how happy that made me. Around day seven I started to get antsy. Staring at the same four walls was starting to become extremely repetitive and my symptoms had disappeared a few days ago, making me want to get out even more. The day I finally got out was one I will never forget.

Even though that was my COVID experience, many others were different. Junior Reagan Robinson suffers from asthma, and his experience was far worse. On top of losing his smell and taste, he was bedridden for five days. When he wasn’t extremely fatigued or dizzy, he had a horrible headache and an overwhelming sense of dehydration. Jordan Toaston found it extremely difficult to breathe, was very lightheaded, and had frequent cold shivers that lasted for a week and a half. But it wasn’t all bad for some people. There were several asymptomatic students, such as Shawn Brown, who didn’t even know they had it till they were tested. This goes to show that anybody can have it at any time and the effect, are wide-ranging.

If you have experienced any of the symptoms in this article, be sure to get yourself tested immediately. The COVID test is not bad, it just feels a little disorienting, and while a ten-day quarantine is not fun, it is mandatory for the safety of others. Be smart. Be safe.