Should Streaming Spotify be Blocked on Campus?

Nick Atkinson, Staff Writer

Despite student’s frustration about not being able to stream Spotify during class, the CHS tech department has assured me, there is a good reason for the block.

The administration at Catholic High School is no stranger to blocking/banning certain apps and sites. Spotify is one of the most controversial of those sites because students at CHS love their music, and teachers are inclined to let their students listen to it in class.

Matthew del Rio, a senior at catholic high, expressed his displeasure with the blocking of live streaming of Spotify on campus complaining, “I think there is no reason why it should be blocked, I personally love listening to music.”

Mrs. Bruno, the Director of Technology at Catholic High, believes there are many good reasons why the streaming of Spotify is blocked. She said, “The app its self is not blocked, but the connection between the internet and the app is blocked due to the excessive amount of bandwidth that it takes to stream apps on campus.” She then went in-depth into all the numbers and explained how the internet system is run at Catholic High School.
Mrs. Bruno explained that with 1 access point (AP) per classroom and approximately 25 different connections going through it, apps such as Teams, Zoom, Moodle, Outlook, are permitted to run and deemed educational use. The maximum amount of data the AP can handle is 1 gigabyte. If those students in that class were also streaming Spotify music, it would be roughly 17 gigabytes.

She made it clear that students can still listen to music on Spotify, but they would need to download the music itself off campus which, on Spotify, would require a premium subscription.

It is still up to the teacher whether or not students can listen to music or not.