Thanksgiving Traditions Interrupted

The+Cavana+Family+

Cavana Family

The Cavana Family

Jackson Guest, Staff Writer

When thinking about Thanksgiving, most people think of, good food, giving attitudes, and being with the people you love. This year, with all the chaotic events that have taken place, might alter how people at Catholic High and all over the United States celebrate this day of thanks. COVID-19 has kept many families apart over these last few months and continues, to do so. Many family traditions of going to families’ or friends’ houses have been put into jeopardy because of the very contagious virus. Some states have put guidelines in place to keep big gatherings of family smaller and only a couple of hours. This has messed up many trips, parties, and events that have been taking place for years with families at Catholic High.

When interviewing students and faculty about traditions and how they will be altered, many said a lot of the same thing. It will not be the same. CHS senior, Ian Cavana, said that his usual thanksgiving day consists of many family bonding activities. He said, “We always spend the day together, eating lunch and dinner together around the table which we rarely do. Then we always put up the Christmas decorations in between lunch and dinner and the day after.” The one thing that will definitely be changed is the absence of Ian’s grandmother who lives in the UK half the year and the US the other. Because of COVID-19 she is not able to travel and is in a serious lockdown in the United Kingdom. When talking about his Grandmother Ian said, “This year, we won’t be able to have thanksgiving with my grandma, who is unable to travel from England because of COVID and have not seen her in months.” This shows how Thanksgiving traditions are being affected

Student Body President Matthew Tilley had a lot to say about his usual Thanksgiving agenda and how it will be altered this year. When asked about where they go, he said,” We always go to my grandmother’s house for Thanksgiving. She always cooks a big lunch, and we eat with my grandparents and my cousins, it’s a really special day.” Just like the rest of our student body, our president and many others take this day to spend time with the people they love. Sadly, when asked about what his day will look like this year, Matthew said, “We probably won’t be able to go to my grandparents’ house because it is very cramped, so we will move the lunch to my house. We still don’t know if my grandparents will be able to come this year.” No matter who our, your life has been affected by the COVID-19 virus. Even though these holidays will be much harder to spend time with family and enjoy each other’s company, we must make the best of what we have. We are in this together as one school, one state, and as one country.