LSU Basketball Season Startup

Gus Stark

Nicholas Noel, Staff Writer

The College Basketball season is in full swing with games starting on November 25 of this year.  This means LSU Basketball season has started as well with ambitions to make it back to the NCAA tournament.  Last year, due to COVID-19 and the March Madness tournament getting canceled, the Tigers did not get a postseason.  They come into this season with a young team and a lot of potential.  The leaders of the team are Junior Javonte Smart, Junior Darius Days, and Sophomore Trendon Watford.  LSU Head Coach Will Wade stated in multiple interviews and press conferences that these guys are the leaders of the team, and, that starting this year, they made three pods led by these three players.  If a member of the team misses a class or any lack of conduct then the leaders of the pods must discipline the player and the whole pod must face consequences such as extra running.  Will Wade said that since he has implemented this system that players rarely miss class because they know their leaders will hold them accountable.

So far this season, LSU has played 4 games with a record of 3-1.  To kick off the season, LSU played in a tournament hosted by St. Louis.  They played two games against SIU-Edwardsville and St. Louis.  They won the opening game against SIU-Edwardsville with a score of 94-81.  They then dropped the next game to St. Louis with a score of 85-81.  Versus St. Louis, the three ball killed them and the defense was very sloppy–something Will Wade strived to fix before the home opener against Southeastern.  I was in attendance for this game and the Maravich Center was definitely not the same as in years past.  According to an article by Kent Lowe on LSUSports.net, the Maravich center is starting the season with only 25% capacity.  “The health and safety of the fans is the top priority in LSU athletics’ planning and preparation for the 2020-2021 men and women’s basketball season,” according to Lowe.  In the game versus Southeastern there was a dramatic increase of defense as the Tigers held Southeastern to 43 points while scoring 96.  The most recent game this past Sunday versus Louisiana Tech was another good showing for the Tigers as they beat the Bulldogs 86-55.  The star of the team right now looks to be Freshman Cam Thomas.  Thomas won SEC Freshman of the week on November 30 and has dropped consecutive 20 point games.

Nicholas Noel

The next game for the Tigers is Wednesday, December 16, and the Tigers will take on University of New Orleans.  The Tigers were supposed to play USF this Saturday in Atlanta, but the game was cancelled due to contact tracing within the LSU program.  The Tigers hope to maintain their 2-game winning streak and hope to eventually make it back to March Madness.