The Vaccine that Saves Humanity?

Jackson Guest , Staff Writer

When dwelling on how bad of a year 2020 has been, there are many things that come to mind, and Covid-19 is on the top of the list. Even with all the horrible things that have taken place, there is still light at the end of the tunnel. In recent months, companies Pfizer and Moderna have been developing vaccines which are now weeks away from distributing all over the world. According to the New York Times, Pfizer is at 95% effective while Moderna is at 90%. As early as April these vaccines will be available to the general public. This is a huge breakthrough that might help life as we know it go back to “normal.” Currently, masks, social distancing, curfews, and many other restrictions are being enforced all around the world. Here at Catholic High, rules and regulations are very strict and are enforced by the entire faculty. So, if these vaccines do work, what will Catholic High look like for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year?

There are many rules and regulations students and faculty have to follow at Catholic High School. Masks must be worn at all times unless eating or drinking and must be worn properly or the student will be sent home. Another rule is that there are certain entrances where people can either enter or leave from. This stops the flow of people walking in different directions which lowers the possibility of spreading the virus. These rules are put into place to protect us, but the question is: If the vaccine comes out and has success like it has shown in the trials, when will these rules be abandoned?

I decided to interview Dr. Eldringhoff, named Academic Assistant Principal after stepping down from his role as Disciplinarian. When asked what the upcoming school year will look like if the vaccine proves effective, he said, “It will largely depend on what the experts say. We answer to people such as the CDC and the Louisianan Department of Health.” He went on to elaborate that even with the vaccine, masks will probably still be a thing next year because even with the vaccine it is still a very contagious virus. My next question was when will Catholic High start treating Covid-19 just like other viruses where there is no need for quarantine and test. He went on to say, “It will depend on the consequences of contracting the disease. If the disease doesn’t present a public health emergency any more than the flu does then I think we treat it like the flu.”

This is some great news for the upcoming future of Catholic High and the safety of the community. Hopefully, these vaccines will lead the way to a safer and better future for not just the Catholic High Community, but mankind as a whole.