CHS Football Regular Season Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

CHS Football Regular Season Recap

Robert Brummel

Robert Brummel

Robert Brummel

Grant Reames, Staff Writer

CHS Football Regular Season Recap

After an impressively successful season, your #2 ranked Catholic High Bears will provide its fans with even more action as they head into the playoffs. Before the first round of playoffs begins, let’s review the season and great successes of your CHS football team.

In week 1, Parkview was no match for CHS as the Bears walked away with a 62-7 victory. An exciting match-up followed in Week 2 as the team traveled to Shreveport to face off against North Little Rock, a former Arkansas state champ, in the Battle on the Border. Catholic returned home with a 24-17 victory. University High School and CHS faced off in Week 3 in one of the most anticipated games of the season. After the back-and-forth battle, Catholic remained undefeated after beating the Cubs 30-25. The Bears took everyone by surprise as they dominated the #3 ranked Edna Karr Cougars. Coming off of a loss to formerly ranked #1 John Curtis, Edna Karr was hungry for a chance at redemption; however, CHS squashed those hopes by defeating them 47-12.

In what could be considered as one of the greatest Catholic High football games ever played, CHS defeated the #3 ranked St. Thomas More Cougars 52-50. After an offensive battle, with both teams airing out the ball, the Bears won on a game-winning field goal as time expired.

Following the tremendous victory, Catholic rolled into homecoming week with great momentum and crushed the East Ascension Spartans with a score of 41-6. In week 7, the McKinley Panthers provided very little competition as the Bears throttled McKinley 62-7.

The next match-up brought the St. Amant Gators to Memorial Stadium for a beat-down as the Bears won with a score of 56-12. On a cold Halloween night, Catholic faced off against a weak Woodlawn team. CHS handled the Panthers with ease as they defeated Woodlawn 56-20. To wrap up an undefeated 2019 football regular season, the Catholic High School Bears scored a season-high 70 points on a feeble Dutchtown defense. The game resulted in a 70-34 victory for the Bears. Expect the team to keep this momentum as they head into the playoffs.