Lapping the Competition

Peyton Worley, Staff Writer

William Dejean competing in the freestyle at a recent meet. Photo by Parker Nyboer.

Your very own Catholic High swim team is off to a fast start led by head coach, Doug Logsdon. Since the start of the school year, the Bears have competed in Louisiana and Alabama and have had a lot of success.

The Bears headed down to Mobile, Alabama and competed in the 9th annual Gulf Coast Invitational on September 27 and 28. The team competed against multiple defending state championship teams from Alabama and were able to come out victorious. Senior Mason Nyboer led the way with two victories in the 200 and 500 freestyle. When talking about the team’s performance, Sophomore Shawn Melancon said it is “very intense. We did pretty good as a team. I am proud of the team’s performance.”

The Bears have also been doing well in the in-state meets. Junior William Kitto swam really well in the 200 freestyle and the 200 individual medley in the first two meets of the season. Junior Mitchell Gillem also had a really good 50 freestyle in the first local meet and as of now has the best time in the city at 21.94.

The Bears have so much depth this year with many swimmers being able to fill new roles and jump in right away and succeed. Freshman William Dejean in the 200 individual medley, 500 freestyle, and 100 breaststroke is able to add depth to the team because of his versatility. Junior Garrett Accardo is another asset swimming several strokes and sprint freestyle. Shawn Melancon was very confident in this year’s team and noted, “I think we are stronger than last year’s team. I think we could definitely win state this year.”

This month, the Bears look forward to big matchups against Lafayette High, the City Championship, and the State Championship. The overall depth of this year’s Catholic High swim team is a great sight to see, and I expect to hear these guys’ names more often in the future when they keep competing in the state.