iPhone 11: Should iUpgrade?

Back to Article
Back to Article

iPhone 11: Should iUpgrade?

Parker St. Romain, Staff Writer

Apple’s brand new products debuted September 20th in all stores, and the biggest products are the new upgraded iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro. The iPhone craze is global and is at Catholic High School, where students have mixed reviews of this new product.

Apple’s annual September Event took place on September 10th, and they announced all their new products—a new Apple Watch, two different iPhones, and a new iPad. The iPhone, the company’s flagship product was the most anticipated announcement, and they came out with the iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and the iPhone 11 at all different price points.

The iPhone 11 Pro, an upgrade from last year’s iPhone XS now has three cameras. It has a wide camera, telephoto, and ultra wide camera with “4x more scene and 120 degrees’ field of view.” It also has a new “Night mode” that can take your dark photos and brighten them up, using their new chip. Apple calls it the A13 Bionic Chip. It has a bigger battery life—a big reason for people to upgrade—with five more hours of battery life in the iPhone 11 Pro Max and four more hours in the iPhone 11 Pro.

The iPhone 11 Pro starts at $999 and the iPhone 11 Pro Max, the bigger version of the iPhone 11 Pro, starts at $1099. They come with a new “Midnight Green” color in addition to its standard Gold, Silver, and Space Gray colors.

If this model is too expensive, they also have an upgraded version of last year’s iPhone XR, the iPhone 11. It starts at $699. If you want a phone just like the iPhone 11 Pro but don’t want to pay the price, I would recommend the iPhone 11, if you can live without that third camera and a display that isn’t as bright. The battery life is still great, and is definitely worth the price.

The iPhone 11 comes in six colors: white, black, green, yellow, purple, and red. It still has the ultra-wide camera and night mode that the iPhone 11 Pro has, but does not have the telephoto camera that gives you that 2x optical zoom.

With all these new features, one can be tempted to upgrade from your current phone, so you can have that bigger battery life or ultra-wide camera. However, if you have an iPhone X or above, you may want to hold back and wait another year or two. These features aren’t necessarily worth it to spend $799+ on, and the battery life on an iPhone 8 or iPhone X still works well.

If your phone doesn’t have a good battery life or is acting slow, Apple offers a battery replacement for the iPhone 8 and below that goes for $49. This will get your phone running a bit faster and last you longer. It could last you until next September, when the next version comes out.

The new features draw in consumers to get the new product, including students at CHS that have bought the new phone. Connor Stewart, a CHS Junior has the brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max which he got the first week it came out. The features that he was most excited for were the animoji’s, dark mode, and the new ultra-wide camera. When asked if it is worth the $1,000 price tag, he says that it is worth it because it has an “amazing battery life,” and that the camera is amazing. He says, “it is like having a professional camera in your pocket.”

However, another junior, Carson Giambrone, says that it is “not worth it for how little it improved, where the only difference is that there are three cameras.” He suggests to people thinking about upgrading to “wait until next year, when the price goes down, or get the next phone which will have better features.”

These upgrades gathered mixed reactions, especially complaints about the high price or lack of new features. Some say Apple’s competitors—like Samsung or Google—are getting ahead with their innovative features, but Giambrone says, “I think that they are ahead, but the competition is catching up to them.” So maybe when the iPhone 12 comes out, the features will please everyone and get ahead of the competition.”