Catholic Proud: Scott Woodward

Back to Article
Back to Article

Catholic Proud: Scott Woodward

LSU

LSU

LSU

Philip Gordon, Staff Writer

Scott Woodward, a Baton Rouge native and Catholic High graduate with the class of 1981, was named LSU’s new Athletic Director in April of 2019.

In his time at Catholic High, Woodward was a part of the school’s tennis team and then went on to study at LSU. According to easttexasradio.com, after working other jobs, he then preceded to earn his first athletic director role when he served as Athletic Director at Washington University from 2008-2015.  The school’s teams performed well while he was there, winning seven national championships and multiple conference titles. The football team made five straight bowl appearances, and he hired Chris Peterson as head coach in 2013. The men’s basketball team was also successful, as they won the 2012 PAC-12 regular season championship and also reached the NCAA’s Sweet Sixteen in 2010. His accomplishments rewarded him with a nomination by the Sports Business Journal for the prestigious Athletic Director of the Year Award in March of 2014 (easttexasradio).

According to lsusports.net, “he then went on serve as athletic director at Texas A&M, where every sports program participated in postseason play and the Aggies won nine SEC titles while he was there. He served as athletic director at Texas A&M from January of 2016 until this past year when he was hired by LSU.”

Scott Woodward is happy to be back in Baton Rouge after his recent hire and even stated at his appointment, “This state and university has been a part of my life for more than five decades, and I know and I embrace the high expectations of Tiger Nation. We will win championships and we will do it the right way, representing LSU with pride and dignity every step of the way.” This just shows how special LSU and Louisiana are to him.

One thing Woodward plans on doing, and has already started, is focusing on the care for the student-athletes. At the opening of the new Performance Nutrition Center for LSU student-athletes, Woodward stated, “When you come to LSU, the entirety of who you are as a human being is going to be cared for, not just your performance on a field of play.” This shows how he is dedicated to helping the student-athletes out during their time at LSU academically and athletically, while also helping them find careers after they have left LSU.

Woodward is a great example of what CHS graduates can achieve, and he serves as a positive role model for current and future students. The CHS community can’t wait to see the impact Woodward has on LSU, and we wish him the best of luck during his time here.