New Year’s Resolutions, Are They Worth It?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Telegraph

The Telegraph

The Telegraph

Chance Simpson, Staff Writer

New year, new you. That familiar saying is heard over and over every year around January 1st, but do people actually keep up with their resolutions? When I first went searching for interviews, I found that very few people on Catholic’s campus even had New Year’s resolutions. They had either completely forgotten about it or just did not have the urge to make one. The small amount of people I talked to who did have resolutions all had the same one: to get in better shape.

With Louisiana having some of the best food in the nation, the people here tend to eat a lot. This leads to more overweight people. That may be why the top New Year’s resolution according to iHeart Radio in Louisiana is to exercise, which is shown in some of the interviews that I collected. One of these people was Daniel Meche, a senior here at Catholic High, whose resolution was to lose weight. He says, “I think I’m going to hit the gym more. I got that Y membership. I might start swimming with my pal Joel Keller.” The same goes for sophomore Evan Tassin who intends to, “get ripped.” Both of these students intend to keep their resolution for the entire year, but seldom do people actually do that.

While I can’t predict what is going to happen for Daniel or Evan, the U.S. News and World Report estimated that about 80% of people give up on their resolution by February. This can be for a variety of reasons such as high expectations, unclear goals, or an absence of a plan for how to carry out the resolution. According to Phillippa Lally, a health psychology researcher at University College London, it usually takes about 66 days to form a habit. Most people have already given up on their resolution by the 66-day mark before it has had the opportunity to become a habit. It’s better to have a plan in order to keep up with goals and to get started as soon as possible. Unfortunately for some people, laziness usually takes hold before this point is reached and they force themselves to give up. For these reasons, I believe that a new year’s resolution is not even worth making, but if you do make one, make sure to have a plan and try your hardest to stick with it.